Our Mission Statement:
Here at Sew Chic, we believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all mankind. Indeed, we hold to the golden rule, which is to say that we treat you (and your information) the way we, ourselves, would want to be treated.
It’s probably no surprise that we collect information that you provide to us. However, we only collect information about you that we must have to ship or deliver products, provide a related service, or to communicate with you. We collect information that you initiate in three ways: when you voluntarily provide information to us, automatically by reviewing our website, or from third party sources, such as social media. Let’s go over the information that we collect:
What you Provide:
The amount and type of information collected depends on the context and how we use the information. Here are some examples:
- Transaction Information: We ask for basic information from you in order to ship product, or to communicate with you concerning products you buy. This includes your name, address, email, and the list of products you have purchased. Online purchases are processed directly and securely through PayPal. Purchases by phone are processed directly and securely through Square. We save the information you provide us as a permanent record of your transaction. With the exception of wholesale orders, we do not save, retain, or have access to customer credit card information.
- Communications with Us: You may also provide us information when you respond to surveys, questions, or use our online form with support or sewing questions. This information is deleted once the question has been resolved.
- Electronic Mailing List: If you sign up to receive our monthly emails, we collect an email address- and perhaps a name- that will allow us to send you our newsletter. If you are on this list it is because you have added yourself, or asked to be added, to this mailing list. Though we may collect your email in the following ways, you will NOT be added to the email list if you have:
- Bought product
- Asked a Question
- Purchased the Flirty Day Dress class through Craftsy
- Purchased PDF patterns via Craftsy
Ways you CAN be added to the mailing list:
- Website footer sign up form
- Send an email to request addition
- Sign up list at an event
This information is stored with this list until you unsubscribe.
- Postal Mailing List: Customers who request to be on our postal mailing list may provide a name, a physical address, and a phone number. We use this information to mail a catalog through USPS. We save this information and continue to send catalogs yearly until the customer calls to request removal.
- Phone Calls: Customers may call the business number to ask questions and request services or products. If we are unavailable, we request that customers leave a voicemail message with a name and phone number. Depending on the nature of the call, we will collect additional information and/or retain this information as needed. This information is discarded once the purpose for the call has concluded.
This information is collected automatically for us through Google:
- Opening an Account on Our Site: You do not need an account on our site to make a purchase. If you choose to create an account, it is for your information only. With this account you may review all your purchases past and present and keep track of your purchase history. We do not have access to account information; it is held by WooCommerce.
Sometimes We Collect from Other Sources
Do you visit us on Social Media?
On occasion we do giveaways on Facebook. If you join in, then win, you must provide your mailing information so that we may send the items that you’ve won. This qualifies you as a customer, and we will keep your non-financial transaction information as a permanent customer on record.
We are often asked to sponsor or participate in online events. We usually get information, such as a mailing address, from this third party vendor, blogger, or entity we are collaborating with in order to fulfill our agreement with them. This information could be used for marketing and advertising purposes, such as postcards and other mailers advertising our products or services.
Who on our team has access?
Members of our team have access to the information you provide us. For example, both Administrators and Shop Managers can access:
- Order information like what was purchased, when it was purchased and where it should be sent, and
- Customer information like your name, email address, and billing and shipping information.
Our team members have access to this information to help fulfill orders, process refunds and support you.
What we share with others
We share information with collaborators from educational events, sewing shows, and dressmaker events. This sharing only includes mailing addresses and basic contact info for our collaborators’ own marketing purposes. To protect you from spam, emails are not given out.
We accept payments through PayPal. When processing your payments, your data is entered and placed into their hands and will thereby be passed to us, through PayPal, as required to process the order or support the payment, such as the purchase total and mailing information.
Third Party Software
If you’d like to use third party plugins, WooCommerce extensions that enable services provided by third parties, or other third party software, please keep in mind that when you interact with them you may provide information about yourself (or your site visitors) to those third parties. We don’t own or control these third parties and they have their own rules about collection, use, and sharing of information, which you should review.